Sibera

Sibera

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Line Illuminator- Round 2- Mari H.

One Day in The Life of Ivan Denisovich
Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Line Illuminator
Pages 33-68

"The first gate. The border zone. The second gate. Railings along each side near the gate house." (Page 35)

This is a passage that really caught my attention. I don't know exactly what it is that drew my focus into it, but there is something that made me think of it while I turned the page. I think that this stood out to me because it makes you pause while you read. The pause is created by the periods separating the short sentences. This isn't exactly a literary technique, that I know of. But it sure does create an impact in the reader's fluency while reading. The author could have written: From the first gate, to the border zone, then to the second gate; however he chose to make it choppy. Most people don't like choppiness in writing, but sometimes, I feel like the choppiness creates a different tone to the writing. For example, in this passage, the tone seems to be like everything is happening fast, that no time is being spent in that setting; they are just passing by.

"Then Shukhov asked his wife to explain to him how he, who'd never been able to draw in his life, was going to become a painter."(Page 41)

This passage is really interesting because it has a little humor to it. The humor is that the person himself, Shukhov, wants someone else to explain an even that is happening to him. That is funny because the character doesn't even understand what has happened to himself, and how he got to that situation. Sometimes people joke about this because, as well as in this case, they suddenly can do something that they had never been able to do before.


No comments:

Post a Comment