Sibera

Sibera

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Word Whisperer - Bethany G.

As word whisperer,  I found 5 examples of stylistic techniques the author has used throughout the book. In this book, there is many but I picked five that I thought were the best used.

Page 23, Paragraph 5.  " The cold stung. " This is a sentence used as a metaphor in this story. It is comparing two things, cold, and sting. I think that this quote meant that the coldness was hurting them and making them feel pain. This helped me understand in the book, what the people were feeling at the camp and how it was like. For me,  I understood that it was so cold that it started to hurt them.

Page 23, Paragraph 5. " A murky fog wrapped itself around Shukhov and made him cough painfully. " This metaphor, was second one I found on the page. It is comparing fog to wrapping, which fog can't do. This metaphor, help me understand what it might have looked like, or what the person feeling. I can also imagine him being wrapped around fog and non stop coughing. It creates a clear image in my head, making the characters, and the book easier to understand.

Page 35, Paragraph 4. " 'Halt!' shouted a sentry. Like a flock of sheep." Without a doubt, this is now a simile. It is comparing the sentry to a flock of sheep. This quote help me realize how he screams and treats others. Using that simile, it also made me think about how he had control over all of them. He could say anything and they would do it.

In this picture, it shows a man screaming and to me it looks like he has control over who he is screaming at. Also, when are you screaming at someone and your allowed to, its normally because you are better than them. In this quote, this guy is better than the people he is screaming at. 


Page 39, Paragraph 2. " Now, they wrote, the radio roared in every cottage - it was piped in. " After reading this quote, I realized it was using personification. It gave the radio to have the ability to roar, which it cant. I didn't really understand what it first meant, but after a while I understood it. I think that it means that in every cottage, they could hear what was happening. They knew what was happening and of course, listened.

Page 39, Paragraph 2. " Writing now was like dropping stones in some deep, bottomless pool. " This quote, was another simile that I had encountered while reading. In this simile, it is comparing writing to dropping stones in some deep, bottomless pool. At first, I didn't really understand it but after reading the few sentences after, I understood everything. In the sentences after, they describe how you drop them, but there is no answer. I think that this quotes means, we might write something to someone, but they might end up never answering or we will never find an answer to what we have written.

This picture helps me understand the last quote better because it helps me see someone throwing peebles or stones down and not getting an answer, or we will never find the answer for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment