Sibera

Sibera

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Risk Taking Reasercher Week #3 - Guilherme Zcarelli





On the first week I noticed something interesting about this book, also something I have never seen befor in any book i've read. It is that the main character is called by two different names and that really confused me in the beggining. I had several hipothesis: first, there can be two people that are always together and never go appart in any sircumstance, or he is triking people into thinking he is two different people at the same time. Because I dint have the chance to reaserch this before her it goes: People there have nicknames and surnames, or as I think is more clear: a name that is formal and another that is informal. Like for example wene we call teachers we call them Mrs. or Ms. or Mr. (followed for there last name)  But if you are a close relative you may call them for their first name. Or other example here in Brazil we can both call a teacher by "Dona" or "Proffessora".t

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gui. First of all, I totally agree that it was confusing in the beginning because the main character was called by two different names. However, one result of Solzhenitsyn’s calling Shukhov by two different names is an emphasis on the power and importance of names in human relationships. The difference between “Shukhov” and “Ivan Denisovich” is the difference between cold official talk and cordial familiarity. I hope this helped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gui, I think you made a good post because I know other people were also confused by this, and you cleared it up. I thought his name was Ivan Denisovic Shukhov, because I think it said that somewhere in the book. I also like your theory that he thought he was to different people, but I wouldn't agree with it.

    ReplyDelete